Wednesday, August 4, 2010

James, I hate you.

For those of you who don't know, I am currently in the process of writing a play that is aimed at challenging the  very existence of human morality through several different scenarios.  At this moment, I have only written my prologue and the first three scenes, but so much is more to come.  I plan on occasionally blogging about the play, in case anybody is interested in its progress, so check back more often for updates!

Anyway, my first blog about the play is about the development of one of the main characters, James.  Now, I wouldn't take the time to blog about character development, but I felt the need to in this particular case.

This character is causing me to develop a strong and fiery hatred towards him, and I am the one creating him!

I have always been interested in writing, but have never been able to write much for myself because of the massive amount of writing I had to do for my Bachelor's degree.  With my undergraduate career completed, I decided to write this play; I am beginning to truly see, feel, and understand how difficult it can be to create characters.

James is a Southern politician living in Washington, D.C. with his son, Eric.  He tends to take on extremely conservative views, and discriminates against basically anybody who isn't him.  Eric, however, is the complete opposite.  As one would imagine, James and Eric do not usually get along.  Although I am not going to go into his story just yet, it has been an interesting task to give him dialogue and create his thoughts, as I completely disagree with everything he is doing and saying.  In fact, I am beginning to loathe him.  You would think that my hatred for James would make me shorten his story, but it is doing just the opposite; I can't wait to continue his story.

You may not understand why I am so interested in James as of yet, but once the play is finished, you will understand my fascination with him, and why I hate him so much.

James, I hate you, but I can't wait to keep writing about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment