Monday, August 2, 2010

Journey to 10,000 Pounds

Community service, whether on a local scale or a global scale, has always been extremely important to me.  I know that I will be most likely talking about different service projects I have done in future posts, so right now, I am going to focus on a project that I just started that is running from now until Christmas 2010: "To Fill Another's Closet."

In conjunction with Upbeat Ministry at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in Patchogue, NY, I will be running a six month long clothing drive to collect 10,000 pounds of clothes for various shelters across Long Island.  If you were to look through your closet or your dresser right now, I can almost guarantee that you have clothes in there that you've never worn, will never wear again, or have no use for anymore.  Instead of throwing them out, donate them to our cause!  What you MIGHT wear one day is something somebody WILL wear EVERY DAY.  We will be sorting through all of the clothes over the next few months, and then bringing them to local shelters so that the clothes will go straight to use, and not sit in a box in some warehouse.

If you have anything to donate, please let me know!  All donations can be brought to the Rectory of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church at 455 North Ocean in Patchogue, New York.  We appreciate any and all donations!

At the moment of this blog posting, we have already collect 450 pounds of clothing!
The first 450 pounds of clothing.  It may not look like much now, 
but wait until a needy family gets access to it!
Please help us to reach our goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment